Hello There Macintosh User!
If you are getting this email you have sometime been a client of mine — Thank you for your past custom!
1. Steve Jobs on the iPhone & iPad v Rivals: Many of us get asked regularly why Apple? Why, when cheaper competing products are available like HTC Android phones and the coming tablet avalanche. This is a very clear explanation of where Apple stands and why they do things the way they do. Excellent. http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/oct/19/jobs-transcript-tablets-ipad-iphone-android
2. New Apple Stuff: As we witness the first 20 billion dollar quarterly income for Apple (!) they announced a new version of iLife: iLife 11 which has new versions of iMovie, iPhoto and GarageBand. Also we saw a new even thinner MacBook Air — if that were possible — and a preview of Lion 10.7, the next iteration of the Mac OS X operating system which will bring the look and feel of the iPad and iPhone user interface to Macintosh computers. http://www.apple.com/au/ilife/ http://www.apple.com/au/macbookair/
3. MailChimp: A free service that lets you send HTML emails to your client list of up to 1,000. These are the emails that look more like a webpage with pictures, formatting and links. Once I find some time to look into it further I hope to send these Updates out in a much prettier format! I know a few people using and liking it. http://www.mailchimp.com
4. Open DNS: Purports to make your internet faster by routing it through their DNS (domain name servers). Free sign up and follow the instructions. Can’t tell the difference in my home but it appears that various situations offer varying results so you might like to try. http://www.opendns.com/
5. iPad Goodies: Here is a page of 10 iPad games that are the bee’s knees — according to the good old Guardian… http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2010/oct/11/ten-best-new-ipad-games TED brings the wonderful TED Talks to the iPad with it’s own app for free. The TED videos look great on the iPad and this app makes them easy to get.
6. How to Put a Movie Onto Your iPad or iPhone: Once you have ripped the movie with Mac the Ripper (or a similar application) you can make it into a suitable format for your device with Handbrake, a free utility. This article tells you how. http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Encode_Videos_for_Your_iPad
7. iPhone Band Performance: These guys, called Atomic Tom, play their song entirely on iPhones using various musical apps, on a New York subway. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAllFWSl998
8. New Microsoft Office: Due at the end of October, Office for Mac 2011 is the latest Mac version of the Windows maker’s Word, Excel and Powerpoint suite with a new email app called Outlook. This is just like the PC Outlook apparently and the whole suite promises easier integration with PC people. The usual improvments will no doubt be a part of it and hopefully a much quicker start up and use are flagged in Walt Mossberg’s review. http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20101013/microsoft-office-2011-mac-review/
9. ChronoSync: There is a constant search for a sync tool that works and a constant claim by lots of software makers that they have the solution. This software is recommended but I haven’t tried it yet. Free trial then $40. http://www.econtechnologies.com/pages/cs/chrono_overview.html#
10. Carbon Copy Cloner: Sometimes the regular hourly backup made by Time Machine is too often and too much. If you prefer you can use Carbon Copy Cloner to make your backups. It is a free (donations please) utility that is easy to set up and use and can run scheduled backups to your external hard drive or a manual backup if you would rather do it at the end of the day. http://www.bombich.com/index.html
11. A Reminder of My Rates: I charge $88 per hour including GST. No call-out fee or travel charge in the Byron Shire. Half hour minimum. Telephone support costs the same in 15 minute increments. Email support is still free! Please include plenty of detail in your email inquiries. Serving the Byron Macintosh community for over 10 years.
Items for Sale is a free monthly service for my Mailing List. If you want to list something for sale send me the full description/specifications and contact details. Goes out around 14th of the month. Until next time, Thank you Tommi ;>)
Mr Macintosh Tom Hain http://www.mrmacintosh.com.au PO Box 1040 Byron Bay NSW 2481 6685 5504 041 840 8869