Mr Mac Update September/October 2018
Hello There Macintosh User! If you are getting this email you have sometime been a client of mine — Thank you for your past custom!
Like the Mr Mac Facebook page for regular updates: https://www.facebook.com/mrmacbyronbay
1. FOCUS TIME MANAGER: This is a task manager that works across your devices, Mac, iPhone, iPad and Watch to help you manage your time more effectively.
Take a break! Easy to forget when you work alone on a computer. Subscription is $5 per month or $40 per year but you can install and use without syncing to other devices to try it out. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/carrot-weather-talking-forecast/id993487541?mt=12
2. CARROT WEATHER: For the weather freaks amongst us — I know there are plenty! Carrot Weather is a light hearted take on the weather with talking forecasts that has an enthusiastic following. $18 in the App Store. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/carrot-weather-talking-forecast/id993487541?mt=12
3. ALL-IN-ONE MESSENGER: This is a plug-in for the Google Chrome browser that unites many the various Messaging apps in one place. Very handy if you’re a messenger person. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/all-in-one-messenger/lainlkmlgipednloilifbppmhdocjbda?hl=en
4. YOUR NAME REVEALED: A brilliant site where you enter your surname and find out a lot about it, where your ancestors are from, your name’s history, origins etc. There is a paid section for in-depth searching of records with a 14 day trial. https://www.ancestry.com.au/learn/facts/
5. SUPERCHARGE FINDER: Finder is a basic method on your Mac for file management, finding your files, re-naming them, saving them — heaps of stuff.
But as a general for-everyone tool it’s function is limited so regular users can cope with it. If you want to unleash more usability then try Default Folder X.
This utility installs on your menubar and transforms your workspace.
Free to try for 30 days then $57, the creators are confident you will buy after trying! https://www.stclairsoft.com/DefaultFolderX/index.html
6. FULL VERSION PHOTOSHOP ON THE IPAD PRO: Early next year Adobe are bringing a full version of Photoshop to the iPad Pro. This will be the final thing that enables many graphic designers to consider making an iPad Pro their main work tool, so it’s big news. https://www.macrumors.com/2018/10/15/adobe-photoshop-cc-ipad-2019/
7. UNMOUNT YOUR EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES AUTOMATICALLY: One thing that seems to haunt people everywhere is un-mounting external hard drives before unplugging them.
If you are regularly getting the warning that your drive was unplugged before being unmounted you will know what I mean. Pulling them out without un-mounting them can cause them to stop working eventually.
Enter Jettison which automatically un-mounts any connected drives when your Mac goes to sleep and then re-mounts them again when it wakes up.
Very cool, sleep your Mac and pull the drive/s out safely. Free for 15 days then $9. https://www.stclairsoft.com/Jettison/index.html
8. SHOULD PRIMARY SCHOOLS BAN SMARTPHONES?:
A contentious issue has been raised amongst concerned parents in regards to the over-use of smart-phones in schools. They are getting harder and harder to control as the always-connected generation live and breathe social media, having had a phone from a young age.
They can’t imagine life without one, nor do they want to be told to switch them off by parents, let alone teachers.
Some schools have tried partial bans, time contols and various attempts to limit use during school hours without success. They want a ban: no phones in primary schools during school hours.
France has just passed a law banning phones during school hours. The good old French — they don’t mess around do they! Of course not everyone agrees, even though most people over the age of 25 would probably agree with the ban. Is having access to a phone a civil right?
This is an example of an issue that wouldn’t have existed a decade ago and I reckon we will see more like it and have to come up with a way of relating to these new conundrums. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/sep/07/screen-break-how-are-french-schoolchildren-coping-with-phones-ban
9. HOMEPOD: Apple’s Homepod had had it’s software update which helps it get better at the job of being a voice-activated device which is already universally acknowledged as the best sounding smart speaker around.
10. A Reminder of My rates I charge $110 per hour including GST. No call-out fee or travel charge in the Byron Shire. Half hour minimum. Telephone support costs the same in 15 minute increments Email support is still free! Please include plenty of detail in your email inquiries.
Serving the Byron Macintosh community for over 18 years. Until next time, Thank you Tommi ;>) 0418 408 869