Mr Macintosh Update March 10
Hello There Macintosh User!
If you are getting this email you have sometime been a client of mine — Thank you for your past custom!
1. Windows Synch: Yes you read it correctly. Sometimes the dark side get it right and do a better job than Apple. Or rather not a better job but a free-er one!.Windows Synch is a free synch service that lets you synch more than one computer across the web. So you can have files in a folder that you change on one computer and the changes are made to the same file on the other. Obviously it works best with text files, spreadsheets and the like rather than big video or audio files and has a 4GB limit. It hasn’t got the cool looks and design smarts of an Apple product, but who cares if it works and its free? Signup for your account, install the software on each computer after you read David Pogue’s explanation. http://login.live.com/ http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/11/technology/personaltech/11pogue-email.html?8cir&emc=cira1
2. Online Dating: As many people find it difficult to find compatible partners in the hit or miss whirl of regular life, online dating has come into it’s own and is proving to be an excellent way to bypass the randomness of meeting people and find a compatible friend or partner. There are heaps of sites full of single people that you can browse, make a short list and crack on to. http://www.spiritualsingles.com http://www.rsvp.com.au http://www.match.com.au
3. Chatroulette: You sit there in front of your Mac with its built-in web camera and someone else somewhere else is doing the same, maybe even on a PC. This site connects you and lets you click Next if you don’t like the person you get, or if you want someone of the opposite sex! Then you can chat or whatever else you like… this site is booming. http://www.chatroulette.com
4. Video on your older iPhone: Camera Plus Pro is a mere $2.49 but adds video recording to the older iPhones as well as a heap of editing features like flash, multiple shots etc.
5. iPhone Apps: ShopNoGMO conscious shoppers rejoice! A non-GMO shopping guide to avoid dodgy genetically modified crud. Free The Emirates airline have released 3 free translation apps in French, German and Arabic that use a picture of your mouth which is animated so it looks like you speak the phrase! You hold the phone in front of your mouth as it speaks the phrase! Called iLingual they are free and fun.
6.Synch Your Address Book with Gmail Contacts: Syncman does just that, so whatever you add to the Gmail’s Contacts or to your Mac Address Book synchs automatically. Only US$14.99 so if this scratches an itch you have its a reasonably priced fix. http://wateree.net/syncman/
7. Google Reader Play: The Google gang keep coming up with new things don’t they. This is an interface to look at one story at a time in full screen as opposed to the multiple box approach of most web pages. It just might work for a lot of people! Sign in with your Gmail account — which is of course your general Google account — to keep a record of your choices. http://www.google.com/reader/play/#item/new/0
8. Liberate Your Magic Mouse: The Magic Mouse is the new swipe-able mouse that comes with current desktop Macs allowing you to scroll and swipe with finder movements. This free little application enables pinching images in iPhoto as you do on the iPhone, and more. Makes a cool mouse cooler! You can buy a Magic Mouse and use it on your laptop too. http://calftrail.com/sesamouse
9. Mac DVD Ripper Pro: If like me you’ve been using Mac the Ripper, a free utility, to rip DVDs to your computer you will be quite happy at it’s performance apart for a few DVDs that it can’t deal with. The is where Mac DVD Ripper Pro comes in as it can apparently rip any DVD! It is free for the first 5 rips then US$9.95, so you can download and install it and when an obstinate rip won’t work on Mac the Ripper try this! http://macdvdripperpro.com/
10. Firefox Dressup: Personas is a free plug-in that enables a huge range of free ‘skins’ to dress up your Firefox toolbar. Personalise your browser man. Get the plug-in: http://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/ Gallery of personas: http://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/gallery/Music/Movers/2
11. ABC iView: Another plug for this excellent way to catch up with programs on the ABC you might have missed or didn’t know about. This page has the iViewer that lets you watch streaming TV online. Free and wonderful if you hate programming constraints, the programs are archived for anything from a few days to a few weeks. http://www.abc.net.au/iview/
12. A Reminder of My Rates: I charge $88 per hour including GST. No call-out fee or travel charge in the Byron Shire. Half hour minimum. Telephone support costs the same in 15 minute increments. Email support is still free! Please include plenty of detail in your email inquiries. Serving the Byron Macintosh community for over 9 years.
Items for Sale is a free monthly service for my Mailing List. If you want to list something for sale send me the full description/specifications and contact details. Goes out around 14th of the month. Until next time, Thank you Tommi ;>)
Mr Macintosh Tom Hain http://www.mrmacintosh.com.au PO Box 1040 Byron Bay NSW 2481 6685 5504 041 840 8869