Mr Mac Update September 14
Hello There Macintosh User!
If you are getting this email you have sometime been a client of mine — Thank you for your past custom! Like the Mr Mac Facebook page for regular updates: https://www.facebook.com/mrmacbyronbay Website: http://www.mrmacintosh.com.au
I am now able to accept payment via VISA or MasterCard Credit Cards, with no surcharge
1. iPhone 6, Apple Watch and iOS8: After a lot of hype – as usual – the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are here and very nice they look too. Despite my idea that the Plus 6 would be the less well selling niche player, the opposite is true. Most people want a BIG screen! It is sold out for 2 months already.
The Apple Watch has divided the media and as usual the nay sayers are having a field day. Well they said the same thing about the iPod and the iPhone and look what happened! This is a new platform, not just a device and one we’ll be getting used to for some time.
Meanwhile iOS8 is available for download for iPhone 4S and later. It is a really good upgrade. Messaging with SMS has an awesome feature where it suggests whole words for you rather than just letters as before. Sometimes you can write a whole text without writing any words it’s so good! And the camera is much better, amongst many other improvements. http://www.apple.com/au/iphone-6/ http://www.apple.com/au/watch/ http://www.tuaw.com/2014/09/17/ios-8-is-here-read-our-complete-guide-to-apples-new-mobile-os/
2. Stop Online Ads With Adware Medic: A balm for frazzled pop-up ad haters! The ads are getting more and more obtrusive lately as the buggers get better at getting their wares in our faces. This donation-ware program is a free download and install. Then run it and it quickly finds any adware that you have mistakenly installed and offers to remove it. Brilliant! It periodically asks for a donation which I reckon is good value, whatever you donate. http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php
3. NationBuilder: This platform lets you do a multitude of things if you have a mailing list. Build a website, newsletters, database management and more. It is predicated on a political theme – “turn your life into a movement” is the slogan and it is used by plenty of pollies, activists, non profit groups etc. Fees start at $20 per month for up to 2,000 in your list and go up. Pretty good for what it offers. Free for 14 days so you can see if it works for you. It did for Obama… http://nationbuilder.com
4. Coloured Folders: With Mavericks gone were the days of being able to have folders coloured in different ways. Enter Folderol for $3. http://www.macworld.com/article/2457997/folderol-review-add-color-to-your-os-x-finder-folders.html
5. Mysterious Universe!: Here in Byron Bay we take this stuff seriously! Mysterious Universe is a website catering to the unusual aspects of life with a free app as well. http://mysteriousuniverse.org http://mysteriousuniverse.org/app/
6. Hyperlapse: A wonderful free app that has built in image stabilisation which means that your jittery arm movements – which show up as much worse when time lapse is speeded up – are ironed out with clever technology. The results are awesome! Mind you, with the introduction of iOS8 which has it’s own time-lapse I wonder how long it will last. https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/hyperlapse-from-instagram/id740146917?mt=8
7. Moving from An Android Phone to iPhone: Plenty of Mac users have a smart phone that isn’t an iPhone and now that we have bigger screen sizes they are itching to switch! This page explains how. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6407?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US
8. PhoneView Looks Inside Your iPhone: Although its a little pricey at $30, this app means you can look into your iPhone and save any data onto your Mac, like SMS messages, VoiceMails, images etc. Could be useful… http://ecamm.com/mac/phoneview/
9. Items for Sale: Is a free service. If you want to list something for sale send me the full description/specifications and contact details. 10. A Reminder of My Rates: I charge $110 per hour including GST. No call-out fee or travel charge in the Byron Shire. Half hour minimum. Telephone support costs the same in 15 minute increments. Email support is still free! Please include plenty of detail in your email inquiries. Serving the Byron Macintosh community for over 14 years. Until next time, Thank you Tommi ;>) 0418408869