Mr Mac Update November/December 15
Hello There Macintosh User! If you are getting this email you have sometime been a client of mine — Thank you for your past custom!
Like the Mr Mac Facebook page for regular updates: https://www.facebook.com/mrmacbyronbay
Website/blog: http://www.mrmacintosh.com.au Phone: 0418 408 869
1. My Annual Christmas Request — Backup Your Data!:
Your digital life is your responsibility and it’s growing larger by the week. Whether your hardware i.e. the computer, is insured against failure or not only affects the machine not the data on it. That is yours to safeguard and it’s easy to do. Plug in an external hard drive costing around $100 and Time Machine, the built in software, will do the rest. You can even backup to 2 different hard drives for security… There are said to be only two types of people using computers — those who have lost data and those who will loose data so please be safe not sorry.
Many people want to access Netflix or the BBC from overseas to get the better selections as they have different offerings depending where you login from. A lot of video services change their selection depending on the country which is annoying! Enter Hola, simple browser plugin that lets you select which country you are approaching from — or convince the service that you are anyway. This can be performed by a VPN but Hola does it really simply and for free. Available for all your devices and computers. https://hola.org
3. Mac the Ripper Works Again in El Capitan: An old favourite for ripping and de-zoning DVDs, Mac the Ripper didn’t work in Yosemite 10.10 but Hallelujah! it mysteriously works again in El Capitan 10.11. Very handy if you want to rip and remove zoning from overseas DVDs and general copying of DVDs.
4. Add Extensions to the Photos App: Although the new app on Macs is now Photos, which replaces iPhoto, many users don’t see the advantage over the old program. Well it has been designed so that it can be extended by 3rd party developers who can write extensions to do all sorts of things as explained in this article: http://www.macworld.com/article/2998137/software-photography/photo-editing-extensions-in-apple-photos-for-os-x.html
5. Storehouse: This free app promises to “turn your collection of photos and videos into a shareable story”. Gaining kudos in the press for it’s intuitive interface and ease of sharing, it is worth a look. https://www.storehouse.co And an article explaining it’s potential: http://www.fastcodesign.com/3052727/appletvs-key-to-changing-media-could-be-hidden-in-photo-remote?utm_content=bufferc7b68
6. Clarify Your Instruction: A clever instructive app that lets you export multiple screenshots into video, PDF, Evernote, Word, DropBox etc. Makes it simple to create a flow of explanation when showing something to a person or a class. US$15 after a free trial to see if you like it. http://www.clarify-it.com
7. SpamSieve: Spam Spam Spam Spam, don’t we love it? No we don’t. Junk mail is notoriously difficult to police but this app does better than most. Be warned though it isn’t ‘fit and forget’, you have to train it. But if you spend the time it learns and cuts most of the rubbish out. US$30. http://c-command.com/spamsieve An article extolling it’s virtues: http://www.macworld.com/article/3013654/software/spamsieve-2-9-review-a-must-have-spam-filter-for-your-mac-email-client.html
8. Facebook Fluff Buster: A comprehensive plugin for Facebook that hands the control back to you. Fully configurable. Essential if you are on FB a lot — like most of us! https://www.facebook.com/fluffbustingpurity
9. A Brilliant Weather Website: Showing temperature, winds, waves, pressure and more in a visual display and up to 10 kilometres from the surface all in real time, this is an awesome resource. http://windyty.com
10. A Reminder of My rates I charge $110 per hour including GST. No call-out fee or travel charge in the Byron Shire. Half hour minimum. Telephone support costs the same in 15 minute increments Email support is still free! Please include plenty of detail in your email inquiries.
Serving the Byron Macintosh community for over 14 years. Until next time, Thank you Tommi ;>) 0418 408 869