Hello There Macintosh User! If you are getting this email you have sometime been a client of mine — Thank you for your past custom!
Like the Mr Mac Facebook page for regular updates: https://www.facebook.com/mrmacbyronbay
1. DON’T INSTALL HIGH SIERRA ON OLD COMPUTERS!:
Although you might get a message from your Mac App Store telling you that the latest operating system, macOS Sierra 10.13, is available for free download, think hard before installing it. This system is designed expressly for Macs with an SSD (a Solid State Hard drive). These are fitted to all current laptops and to iMacs if specified upon purchase — and after coughing up a lot of extra dollars. iMacs also can have Fusion Drives which are a combination of both modern SSDs and the older regular hard drives (HDs) that have been with us for decades. If your Mac is older than 4/5 years forget about it unless you have lots of RAM. By lots I mean at least 16GB. I have had so many calls from people on older machines who have installed it and their beloved machines are now running so slowly. There isn’t any fix. Popping lots of RAM helps a lot, but is expensive at $200-$300. Just stick with Sierra 10.12. One last thing: if you do install High Sierra be very careful. During the install it asks you to login with your Apple ID and then prompts you to put your Desktop and Documents folders into the iCloud Drive. DON’T DO IT! This tries to upload everything on your Desktop and in Documents up to Apple’s iCloud. This isn’t viable with our lousy internet and everything grinds to a halt… Untick the box that is ticked by default, which I think is criminal.
2. DESIGNER TOOL: xScope is a tool for measuring, inspecting and testing anything on your Mac screen. Useful for technical work, this would aid all sorts of designers. Free download to try then US$50. https://xscopeapp.com
3. A USEFUL DEVICE FOR IPHONES: The i-FlashDevice connects to your iPhone or iPad via the lightning port and lets you store, view and manage files without using storage space on your device. You can add files from your Mac and you can carry extra storage with you if you are running low. It has a free app to manage everything. Available from many shops and online stores its like buying a supercharged USB drive! https://itunes.apple.com/cn/app/i-flashdevice/id1100496131?l=en&mt=8
4. TURN YOUR IPHONE OR IPAD INTO A PHOTO FRAME: LiveFrame does this for any iPad or iPhone. Turn that old unused iPad into a dynamic photo frame with this free app. Lots of customisable choices. Ad-free version is $5. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/liveframe/id860372559?mt=8
5. USE AN IPAD AS AN EXTRA DISPLAY: If you have a laptop with a small screen and you have an iPad you can use it as an extra display. Air Display 3 connects via your WiFi or USB to become extra screen space. You can have your emails on one screen while working on a document on the other. US$10. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/air-display-3/id967502646?mt=8
6. FIND AND DELETE DUPLICATE FILES: This free app is a simple way to find and remove duplicate files on your Mac. Includes step by step instructions. What’s not to like? Even the name is good: Duplicate File Finder! https://nektony.com/duplicate-finder-free
7. GRAB AN ENTIRE WEBPAGE WITH ONE CLICK: You might have found that you want to capture a webpage as a graphic but it is longer than your screen so if you take a screenshot you have to do a few captures then try to combine them. What to do? WebSnapper Pro means you grab the full webpage and can email it or save it as a file and do whatever you want with it. US$20. http://tastyapps.net/websnapperpro.html
8. UPLOAD TO INSTAGRAM FROM YOUR MAC: As you probably know Instagram is a popular social media images app that only runs from your iPhone or iPad. But what it you want to upload images directly from your Mac? This freebie iGallery for Instagram: Direct does just that. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/igallery-for-instagram-direct/id1049655419?mt=12
9. OUTLINER THAT RUNS ACROSS ALL YOUR DEVICES: If you are a person who like to outline different things to send a message, make a point, or remind yourself of something this will be for you. You can outline all sort of things and it integrates your outlines across your iPhone and iPad. $15 for the Mac and $3 for the i-Devices. http://xwavesoft.com/cloud-outliner-for-iphone-ipad-mac-os-x.html
10. A Reminder of My rates I charge $110 per hour including GST. No call-out fee or travel charge in the Byron Shire. Half hour minimum. Telephone support costs the same in 15 minute increments Email support is still free! Please include plenty of detail in your email inquiries.
Serving the Byron Macintosh community for over 17 years. Until next time, Thank you Tommi ;>) 0418 408 869