Mr Macintosh Update January 10
Hello There Macintosh User!
If you are getting this email you have sometime been a client of mine — Thank you for your past custom!
1. Excellent Free eBook: Paul Carr is an English writer who published a book in 2008 called Bringing Nothing to the Party — True Confessions of a New Media Whore. He is now releasing it online, with a new chapter per week, released on Mondays, or download the whole thing as a PDF. It is a good, funny read while at the same time being a commentary of how the new media came about. http://www.bringingnothingtotheparty.com
2. iPhone Apps discovered by Kylie Iles: Camera Plus adds depth of filed to make your pics look professional Free version and pro for $2.49 Camera XL doubles the megapixel on the camera so you get more data. Free version and pro for $1.19 Camera Flash and Zoom adds flash and zooming$1.19 Camera Genius adds zoom, anti shake, timer and more $2.49 Photo Timer is a timer for free! Turbo Camera takes multiple shots in a row — up to 80 photos, takes up to 4 photos per second. anti shake, self timer etc. $.19 Tripod anti shake, free Zoom Photo free Camera Flash the best flash app, apparently $1.19
3. Apple Seminars: Lets begin the year by getting some training, online. There are heaps of free seminars with many subjects from Accounting to Music to servers to video. Go to the link and click the blue Seminars Online button in the middle of the page for free 24/7 online seminars. http://www.seminars.apple.com/
4. Faster Broadband?: ADSL2 is is the term for quicker broadband if you are in range of a suitable exchange. Many of our Shire exchanges support it and the plans are good. I am about to switch from AAPT because they don’t offer ADSL2, so goodbye guys! There is a great independent website called Whirlpool and their page comparing all the providers is at the link below. So far I am leaning towards Internode who don’t charge for uploads unlike many who do, and their plans look good. There is also a charge to switch and if both companies support Rapid Transfer then it is cheaper and quicker. Also bear in mind that your email addresses will change unless you have switched to Gmail, Yahoo or Hotmail or another browser based email system already. Gmail is the best by far of the free email providers. http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc/?action=list&type=network&medium=1&provider=32
5. Digital Audio Broadcasting: DAB. If you are into the radio then DAB will interest you as it offers clearer transmissions and heaps more choice. This company, Pure, are at the forefront. You get lots more info with your radio, and can hear the program again if required whenever you like plus playlists and bios of the artists, their performance info and more. http://www.pure.com/au
6. Graphics Apps: Smith Micro have some good apps for doing things to your images, some very reasonably priced like Morpheus that lets you morph between any 2 images for US$29. They also have pro apps like Poser for making 3D objects. http://my.smithmicro.com/mac/graphics.html
7. The Universe: Hayden Planetarium is an excellent site about the big stuff with a cool video on this page that is a short movie of the extent of our universe. http://www.haydenplanetarium.org/universe
8. Custom Decals: Etsy make custom decals for your Mac, unless of course you make them yourself! Good if you want to dress it up and make it unique for a few bucks. http://www.etsy.com/shop/moviemagicman?page=1
9. A Reminder of My Rates: I charge $88 per hour including GST. No call-out fee or travel charge in the Byron Shire. Half hour minimum. Telephone support costs the same in 15 minute increments. Email support is still free! Please include plenty of detail in your email inquiries. Serving the Byron Macintosh community for over 8 years.
Items for Sale is a free monthly service for my Mailing List. If you want to list something for sale send me the full description/specifications and contact details. Goes out around 14th of the month. Until next time, Thank you Tommi ;>)
Mr Macintosh Tom Hain PO Box 1040 Byron Bay NSW 2481 6685 5504 041 840 8869