Hello There Macintosh User!
If you are getting this email you have sometime been a client of mine — Thank you for your past custom!
Please note, there will be no March version of this Update because I will be freezing in the UK…
1. iPhone/iPad: Several apps are being made principally for sharing in social situations: RockeTalk is a free app that lets you take movies, record sound, take photos and send them to each other. This is huge in India where they record stuff and send it to each other’s mobiles rather than just texting like we do. Color, also free, is for taking photos and sharing them around people near you, ie within 50 feet or so in real time. So at a party or event we can all send pics back and forth. There is no registration or user data, just sharing of stuff! Talking John is as funny as..free.
2. Status Barred A free app that strips the status bar off the top of screenshots taken with the iPhone. They are useful but have an ugly status bar across the top. Drop them onto this freebie and it removes them. Simple… http://www.vivexsoftware.com/mac/statusbarred.html
3. Local Free WiFi Hotspots: please let me know of others as you find them You can login here for free with your laptop, iPad or iPhone: Byron Bay: Why Not; Mullumbimby: Poinciana Café; Lulu’s café Newrybar Harvest cafe
4. Firefox 4: If you are a Firefox user then this update will please you, faster and crisper… http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/new/
5. iPad 2: Now an annual re-jig the question is how often do you want to update yours? Not every year I don’t think… The newest, version 2, has arrived, but apart from adding cameras not a lot has changed. That said, I use mine every day and love it! It was very useful during my recent trip to the UK, logging onto WiFi networks everywhere and letting me check email, peruse websites and Facebook! And providing a games console for my 13 year old. Sydney Morning Herald likes it http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/ipad-2-is-prettier-perkier-and-visibly-nimbler-20110325-1c9h0.html David Pogue on some new apps that sound really good http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/10/3-software-programs-that-add-to-the-ipad-2s-appeal/#more-3752
6. Help With Word: This website provides assistance with the program we all love to hate: Microsoft Word. http://word.mvps.org/Mac/
7. SolarSystemScope: Wonderful website of our solar system! http://www.solarsystemscope.com/
8. Video Converter via USB: Some of you out there are converting a lot of video clips from camera to various formats for YouTube, Presentations etc and might like this hardware way of doing it. Called Elgato Turbo 264HD it is a USB stick that plugs into the computer and it routes the video through that to do the converting so your Mac isn’t slowed up doing the grunt work. Apparently very effective for $200 including the software. http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/Turbo264HD/product1.en.html
9. Elasty Makes iMovie Better: Adding lots of effects that iMovie can’t do, like distortion, Advanced Motion Tracking so you can drop images into your movie and many others. OK for $50 if you find iMovie lacks a little zing… http://www.creaceed.com/elasty/mac/
14. A Reminder of My Rates: I charge $88 per hour including GST. No call-out fee or travel charge in the Byron Shire. Half hour minimum. Telephone support costs the same in 15 minute increments. Email support is still free! Please include plenty of detail in your email inquiries. Serving the Byron Macintosh community for over 10 years.
Items for Sale is a free monthly service for my Mailing List. If you want to list something for sale send me the full description/specifications and contact details. Goes out around 14th of the month. Until next time, Thank you Tommi ;>)
Mr Macintosh Tom Hain http://www.mrmacintosh.com.au PO Box 1040 Byron Bay NSW 2481 6685 5504 041 840 8869