Mr Mac Update May/June 16
Hello There Macintosh User! If you are getting this email you have sometime been a client of mine — Thank you for your past custom!
Like the Mr Mac Facebook page for regular updates: https://www.facebook.com/mrmacbyronbay
1. SIGHT IMPAIRED HELP FOR iPHONE USERS:
If you are sight impaired — or know someone who is — then things are improving for you. The iPhone has made great strides in accessibility for people like this. This article explains how.
2. iEXPAND FLASH DRIVE FOR iDEVICES: This is a clever little USB thumb drive specially for the iPhone or iPad to increase it’s space. It comes with an app to facilitate getting data on and off it easily. https://www.sandisk.com/home/mobile-device-storage/ixpand
3. DIIGO, A RESEARCH AND LEARNING TOOL: A new entrant into the conundrum of organising and using the huge online resource that is the internet is Diigo. It aims to help you do it all online in one place: collect, annotate, organise and share. Free to try then $7 per year! https://www.diigo.com
4. TAKE CONTROL OF GMAIL: Many of us use Gmail as our email platform and it’s a happy relationship. Some use it in Apple Mail but many access their email via a browser like Safari or Google Chrome. This page is for the browser email mob. It’s better to use Chrome for Gmail because it’s made by Google as is Gmail, so they work well together and many extensions or add-ons are only made for Chrome. http://www.businessinsider.com.au/the-best-gmail-tips-tricks-and-extensions-2016-5#/#find-out-which-websites-are-selling-your-email-address-to-marketers-by-adding-the–sign-and-a-specific-word-related-to-the-new-service-to-sign-up-1
5. THE BEST OF THE BUNCH FROM ABOVE: And of those 17 tips in the link above the one that stands out for me is Send From Gmail. The main problem with browser email is when you click a link in a website to send an email they want to use an external email client like Mail and if you are in a browser the link doesn’t work. Very frustrating. This plugin fixes this major annoying issue. https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/send-from-gmail-by-google/pgphcomnlaojlmmcjmiddhdapjpbgeoc.
6. POSTERINO, A COLLAGE MAKER: With all the photos we accumulate these days what is to be done with presenting and sharing them? An elegant way is making collages with Posterino for about $20. http://www.zykloid.com/posterino
7. PASSWORD MANAGEMENT FOR FREE: The single most anxiety ridden aspect of modern computer life: passwords! Enpass takes care of them all for free, a pretty good deal. But of course you need to spend a bit of time to insert it into your computing habits as you need to do with any password mangement… https://www.enpass.io/apps/macosx
8. FOR YAHOO! USERS: There are many Yahoo! users amongst us and once you have an email service for a few years you usually stick with it. Legacy it’s called… Well this very cheap $1.50 app puts an insert into your menu bar at the top of the screen next to the date and time giving you instant access to your Yahoo! email and other services. https://itunes.apple.com/app/ymailtab/id969085518?mt=12.
9. POWER USERS KEYBOARD TOOL: For those of us who use the keyboard as much as possible as well as than the mouse. It’s quicker, you’re using both hands… Liquid is a free keyboard tool that makes your text interactive. Powerful stuff. http://www.liquid.info/liquid–info.html
10. A Reminder of My rates I charge $110 per hour including GST. No call-out fee or travel charge in the Byron Shire. Half hour minimum. Telephone support costs the same in 15 minute increments Email support is still free! Please include plenty of detail in your email inquiries.
Serving the Byron Macintosh community for over 15 years. Until next time, Thank you Tommi ;>) 0418 408 869