Hello There Macintosh User! If you are getting this email you have sometime been a client of mine — Thank you for your past custom!
Like the Mr Mac Facebook page for regular updates: https://www.facebook.com/mrmacbyronbay
1. MACBOOK AIR EXTRAS:
The MacBook Air is the most popular laptop in the world! Yes millions have been sold since it launched many years ago. It is a wonderful little machine with a few limitations, like lack of storage: the entry level model has only 128GB which can be only increased when you buy it up to 512GB. If you bought the 128GB model you can’t increase it unless you add a Transcend Expansion Card which fits into the memory card slot on the right side of your Air. You can add 128GB or 256GB massively increasing your storage for around $200 to $300. http://www.transcend-info.com/Apple/jetdrivelite Next is a Docking Station. Many people have external keyboards and mice, a nice big external monitor and extras like a backup hard drive, that all get plugged in once they get home. That’s a lot of cables. A docking station lets all these be easily connected and disconnected in one action. Cost is around $250 or less without the monitor connection. http://www.landingzone.net/products/macbook-docks These extras make the much loved MacBook Air much more useful. They are also available for the Retina MacBook Pro…
2. FANTASTIC PLANT RECOGNISER APP:
For the nature lover amongst us — everyone? — this clever app will identify plants from their picture! And it’s free…get Plantnet from the second link below. http://www.collective-evolution.com/2016/03/10/the-shazam-for-plants-will-identify-any-plant-from-a-picture/ https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/plantnet/id600547573?mt=8
3. iPHONE PHOTOGRAPHY AWARDS: Unlike the happy snaps that most of us take on our iPhones, there are some talented people out there using the same little cameras to take awesome pictures. Check them out and be inspired. http://www.ippawards.com
4. ADWARE IS INCREASING: I am seeing an increase in both the amount of Adware and it’s cleverness. Any pop-up window in your browser trying to tell you that you have a virus, or have won a fortune is extremely likely to be suspect! Delete and ignore. Once you click on a dodgy link Adware can be installed on your Mac which will mean heaps of adverts and pop-up windows appearing. Really annoying but easy to get rid of thanks to Malwarebytes, a free Malware remover. https://www.malwarebytes.com/
5. GOOGLE ARTS AND CULTURE WEBSITE AND APP: Google’s attempt at influencing our consumption of culture, both old and new continues with this ambitious undertaking. App and website with a lot to look at and new ways to explore art. Zoom right in on paintings that you can’t usually get anywhere near, read commentaries on different works, explore history, pretty amazing really. https://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/beta/
6. APPZAPPER GETS RID OF ALL TRACES WHEN YOU DELETE AN APPLICATION: When you delete an app by dragging it into the Trash and emptying the Trash some files get left behind, usually preference files, but some apps install bits and pieces into other directories. If you want to get rid of all traces of an app then AppZapper, this $18 application, will do that simply and quickly. https://appzapper.com
7. AHOY MAP MAKER EXTENDS APPLE’S MAPS: Using the Maps app that comes with current versions of any Mac you buy, Ahoy Map Maker lets you create mud maps, annotate the map and share them and it’s free with a paid in-app upgrade. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ahoy-map-maker/id1114380353?mt=12
8. UPLOAD TO INSTAGRAM FROM YOUR COMPUTER: For reasons only known to themselves the Instagram app is only available for iOS devices. Step in InstaMaster, for your Mac so you can upload to and view feeds on your Instagram account from the Mac. It doesn’t have all usual Instagram the filters but it is only $8. https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1049655419?mt=12
9. HELP FOR STUDENTS: Making the stress of studying a little easier to handle, iStudiez Pro is a scheduler tailored for students of all sorts. Plan assignments, plan their due by dates, keep track of grades and set alarms to help to remember when they are due. Anything that helps the student! $15. A version for the iPhone or iPad means you can sync the data and keep on top of it all across your devices. http://istudentpro.com https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/istudiez-pro/id402989379?mt=12
10. A Reminder of My rates I charge $110 per hour including GST. No call-out fee or travel charge in the Byron Shire. Half hour minimum. Telephone support costs the same in 15 minute increments Email support is still free! Please include plenty of detail in your email inquiries.
Serving the Byron Macintosh community for over 15 years. Until next time, Thank you Tommi ;>) 0418 408 869