Mr Mac Update January/February 2018
Hello There Macintosh User! If you are getting this email you have sometime been a client of mine — Thank you for your past custom!
Like the Mr Mac Facebook page for regular updates: https://www.facebook.com/mrmacbyronbay
1. MONITOR YOUR I-DEVICE BATTERY:
As Apple are now offering vastly reduced prices for replacing the battery in iPhones and iPads it’s worth checking on how healthy yours is. Coconut Battery does this with a free app for your computer. Connect you device to your Mac open Coconut Battery and find out the state of your battery. http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/
2. A FREE PHOTO EDITOR: Polarr Editor comes in a Lite and Pro versions, $0 and $25 and you might find the free one enough. Amongst the bevy of programs trying to replace Adobe Photoshop, which is too expensive for all but dedicated professionals, this one is getting a good name. https://www.polarr.co/mac/0?platform=polarr&label=homepage_website
3. DON’T LIKE APPLE MAIL?: Spark is a change from Mail. Personally, I find Mail just fine, but I do hear a lot of grumbling about it! If you are one of the grumblers then try this out. It’s available for your iPhone as well and offers some good things like the ability to schedule emails to send later on which is a nice feature. Free. https://sparkmailapp.com
4. A CLOUD BASED COLLABORATION APP: Slack for Teams is free for small groups and then either $8 or $15 per month per user if you are a serious company. It is an attempt to centralise data be it files, calls, colleagues or messages so you can easily keep in touch and up to date on projects. Worth a look if you are trying to run a group of disparate people. https://slack.com
5. DON’T LIKE ITUNES?: Although iTunes gets a bad rap please remember that it has grown along with our digital data from a simple music player to the jack-of-all-trades behemoth that it is today. No wonder it’s a bit limited in some functions! As an alternative try Tomahawk Player that only does music in all it’s many forms: podcasts, streaming, downloads etc. Some folks love it.. https://www.tomahawk-player.org
6. A SIMPLE VOICE RECORDER: I know that QuickTime Player can do voice recordings, but this Voice Recorder sits in the Toolbar so it’s available all the time making it really quick to click and record any sound source on your Mac. And it’s free… http://www.its16.com
7. ALARM CLOCK FOR YOUR MAC: If you use your Mac as an alarm clock or would like to, this quaintly imaged Wake Up Time might tickle your fancy. While you’re getting it for free take a look at the other apps from this company, both free and paid. http://www.rockysandstudio.com
8. SHAZAM!: You may have Shazam on your iPhone. It’s a clever app that somehow identifies any song that is playing so ending arguments about who the artist is and of course with links to buy the song! Well now it’s available for your Mac too so you can name any song in a movie, an advert or a YouTube video. Free. https://www.shazamforpc.net/shazam-for-mac/
9. MP3 CONVERTER: Sometimes all you want to do is one thing: in this case convert an audio file to an MP3, which is a format that can be used almost anywhere in any application. Enter To MP3 Converter for Mac. A free app that does the job. Drop any sound file on it and it will create an MP3 version. http://amvidia.com/to-mp3-converter?amsrc=mas-tomp3f
10. A Reminder of My rates I charge $110 per hour including GST. No call-out fee or travel charge in the Byron Shire. Half hour minimum. Telephone support costs the same in 15 minute increments Email support is still free! Please include plenty of detail in your email inquiries.
Serving the Byron Macintosh community for over 17 years. Until next time, Thank you Tommi ;>) 0418 408 869