Mr Mac Update January/February 16
Hello There Macintosh User! If you are getting this email you have sometime been a client of mine — Thank you for your past custom!
Like the Mr Mac Facebook page for regular updates: https://www.facebook.com/mrmacbyronbay
1. Taking Responsibility for Your Digital Life: As we well and truly head into 2016 I suggest its time to take a moment to consider some if the latest implications of our digital lives. This article was published by Verandah Magazine. http://www.verandahmagazine.com.au/taking-responsibility-digital-life/
2. KnowMe Video Editing App: KnowMe is a video editing app with the intention to facilitate story telling rather than technical attributes. It aims to be the “easiest way to make a video with all the media on your iPhone” and looks very good at getting a movie clip made simply and easily. http://www.macworld.com/article/3024365/ios/andrew-jarecki-director-of-hbos-the-jinx-brings-his-storytelling-skills-to-ios-with-knowme.html http://knowme.com
3. A Better Email App?: There are lots of complaints about the Mail app on iOS. It’s just not good enough! Enter Airmail which aims to fix this issue for US$5. http://www.wired.com/2016/02/new-ios-app-airmail-gives-you-hardcore-control-over-email/
4. If You Want to Encrypt Files But Not the Whole Computer: Although you can encrypt your whole Mac from Yosemite 10.10 and later, not everyone needs that level of security. But is is good to be able to encrypt a file or folder and send that securely to someone along with the key so they can decrypt it. Encrypto does this for free… http://macpaw.com/encrypto
5. Grab A Still Frame from A Video Clip: This is a simple app to do a simple thing: make a still image from a frame in a video clip. SnapMotion is US$4 after a free trial to see if you like it. http://www.jeremycreation.com/osx-apps/snapmotion/
6. And If You Want More Than Just Frames: Then Deframe does a whole lot more for US$20. It can extract a clip, a frame, export as a slideshow or a PDF contact sheet and more. http://www.einsteinslegacy.com/products/deframe.html
7. Monitor the Traffic On Your Network: Plenty of people ask about monitoring the traffic on their home network and this app lets you do that in a graphic rich way. Called PeakHour 3 it requires a modern modem to work because it gets it’s information from that device. But it’s free to try and see if it works and if you like it then US$5. http://peakhourapp.com
8. A Free Password Manager: There are plenty of password managers out there but this one is simple and free. KeePassX has been around since the last century (!) and keeps on going – but don’t forget your master password! https://www.keepassx.org
9. A Complaint About Apple: Renowned pundit Walt Mossberg has a complaint about Apple. A long time supporter of the big company that we all know and love, he has a gripe about their falling standards… http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/3/10900612/walt-mossberg-apple-iphone-ios-mac-osx-app-problems
10. A Reminder of My rates I charge $110 per hour including GST. No call-out fee or travel charge in the Byron Shire. Half hour minimum. Telephone support costs the same in 15 minute increments Email support is still free! Please include plenty of detail in your email inquiries.
Serving the Byron Macintosh community for over 14 years. Until next time, Thank you Tommi ;>) 0418 408 869