Mr Mac Update February 13
Hello There Macintosh User!
If you are getting this email you have sometime been a client of mine — Thank you for your past custom! Mr Mac Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/mrmacbyronbay
1. New, Update, Upgrade?: New iMacs, new iPods, new iPads, new iPhone 5…Do you need to upgrade? So many new improved hardware comes out in a continuous stream that it can be difficult to decide whether to upgrade or not — first world problems, hey! My decider when people ask me is to ask them: does your current Mac (or iPhone or iPad) do everything you want it to? Are you backing up regularly with Time Machine to an external hard drive?
If the answer to both is yes then relax, stay where you are, your computing infrastructure is fine. It’s when you try to access a website or play a video and your machine can’t hack it that you need to thing about a replacement. Computers seem to last about 5 years after which they are either outdated or full up with your data. The tax office lets you write them off in 3 years so maybe that says something! However, there are many people out there with machines older than that which are running just fine.
The key is always running a Time Machine backup so if the trusty beast does die you can just import all your data onto the new one…
2. Tonido: Promising the possibility of accessing all your files on your iPhone or iPad from your Mac when you are away, Tonido could be a revelation. It is free so well worth a look if this appeals to you. http://www.tonido.com/tonidodesktop_downloads/ http://www.tuaw.com/2013/01/23/tonido-can-put-you-in-touch-with-all-your-files-from-any-ios-dev/
3. Send Your iPhone Via Projector: There are a few portable overhead projectors becoming available, designed expressly for iPhone/iPads, for those people who need to get stuff up on the wall. They are small and cheap too. This is just one on offer: http://www.benq.com.au/product/projector/joybeegp2/
4. Pandora: Some people just love Pandora! This music streaming service, or internet radio, offers free with ads, or a reasonable $35 annual fee for ads-free music. You can enter some artists you like and it will learn your choices and play similar music continuously. You can tweak it so that your preferred styles proliferate. The stream can be sent to your iPhone/iPad as well if you like. It makes a change from searching through your iTunes library to find stuff… http://www.pandora.com/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora_Radio
5. Bevy: if you have too many apps in your Dock and there are still more in your Applications folder that you need, then maybe Bevy is for you. Costing $10 from the Mac App Store, it offers control and easy access to all the millions of apps you have installed. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bevy/id402623918?mt=12
6. MyScript Calculator: A calculator for the iPhone that uses your own handwriting! Well it’s free, so if it can decipher my doctor’s scribble then it will be doing well! https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/myscript-calculator/id578979413?mt=8
7. Cloud Clip: Great idea! This $3.99 app keeps all the things you have copied to the clipboard (that’s anything where you selected Command+C, or the Edit menu/Copy) and shares them with any i-device. The i-app is free of course. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cloud-clip/id552367503?mt=12
8. Combine text and Photos on Your iPhone: Piction is a 1 dollar way to do that. Then you can send them straight up to FaceBook or Instagram. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/piction-app/id588430226?mt=8
9. Free Anti Virus Software: No there are still no viruses as such on the Mac platform but there are other nasty things around like Spyware and Worms! This free virus checker lets you control how it works quite well. I recommend a regular check rather than having it run all the time.. http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-mac
10. A Reminder of My Rates: I charge $88 per hour including GST. No call-out fee or travel charge in the Byron Shire. Half hour minimum. Telephone support costs the same in 15 minute increments. Email support is still free! Please include plenty of detail in your email inquiries. Serving the Byron Macintosh community for over 10 years.
Items for Sale is a free monthly service for my Mailing List. If you want to list something for sale send me the full description/specifications and contact details. Goes out around 14th of the month. Until next time, Thank you Tommi ;>)
Mr Macintosh Tom Hain http://www.mrmacintosh.com.au PO Box 1040 Byron Bay NSW 2481 6685 5504 041 840 8869